Sabtu, 4 Mei 2019

Stpm vs matrix

I was teaching in matriculation for 8 years and currently teaching STPM for a year. I’m not claiming myself as very experience, but I just share what I have seen all these year.

Let’s look into chemistry syllabus. I’m only focus on one chapter, PERIODIC TABLE, which is one of the most important chapter  in chemistry.

Matriculation spending 1 chapter for the ‘Periodic Table’ in which they learn some very basic of periodicity (basically is almost same as SPM form 4 Periodic Table with slightly, very slightly deeper). STPM students spending one whole semester (term 2) in studying The same topic, analysing each Group and Period of element. I have seen my STPM students stressing in studying for term 2 as they have to memorise all the chemical equations, explanations, formulas, name of complexes, even colour of the compound etc etc. As a teacher, I admit I’m struggling in memorising all! Haha.

Recently spoke to one of the matriculation student who has just grad in April, he told me this ‘Periodic Table’ which require memorising is no more in their exam, because they make it into folio, and it will not come out in exam anymore 😨😨😨. The distribution of mark is now 40% coursework (which is marked by their own teacher) and 60% on exam, compared to previously 20% coursework and 80% exam. Basically, u do homework, u can pass matriculation exam now. 😱😱😱 (correct me if I’m wrong, that’s what I heard from him.)

For STPM, students are required to spend 1.5 years to come out with a R&D project and presentation (mini viva). I have many times seeing my students stay over after school to rush and finishing the research in the lab. Bringing the sample home for analysis. They have no choice but Spending money, time and energy for the research. Every time I feel painful seeing their disappointment when they fail the research and have to start all over again. I have leaving matric for 1.5 yrs now and I not sure if they have implement the same research method or not. As I know they have some practical skill test which is similar to STPM paper 4. (Correct me if I’m wrong again.)

This is my very own point of view. Don’t feel offended, i have seen many potential matriculation students as well. And I only stating the truth. I think Gov should give EQUAL CHANCES for STPM students to go into local universities. Most of the STPM students have no choice but applying for oversea scholarship or private universities, then they will permanently stay oversea after graduate. So, why do we let go all those potential young generation to other country?

Note: THIS POST IS NOT RELATED OR IN REGARDS TO CURRENT ONGOING MATRICULATION QUOTA ISSUE. THIS IS SOLELY ABOUT SYLLABUS AND STANDARDISATION.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan